Sunday, November 1, 2009

Girls - "Album" Vinyl LP

Girls - "Album" Vinyl LP
True Panther Sounds
True-010-1
Original Release - 2009

If you follow the indie music scene at all you have heard of Girls, and you undoubtedly know the story behind "Album". My ears usually perk up when an album gets above a 9.0 on Pitchfork, which this did, and let me tell you its a heck of a rock album.

Written in the wake of a failed relationship, this is a very personal album lyrically, while sonically its a mixture of indie and classic rock influences that keep me interested until the end. Christopher Owens has a very distinctive voice, which shoots out of the speakers with "Lust For Life" wondering "I wish I had a father, maybe then I would have turned out right", and "I wish I had a pizza and a bottle of wine". Now if you know Christopher's history, its no wonder he wishes for any of these things, but more importantly in this short first song we are introduced to a major theme of desire and want, which is present through the whole album.

Side A is by far the best side, ending with the exceptional "Hellhole Ratrace", a 7 minute masterpiece, simple yet effective lyrics matched with a building guitar crescendo shows that Girls are for real: "I don't wanna die, without shaking up a leg or two, yeah I wanna do some dancing too, so come on, come on, come on, come on and dance with me". This song has a great music video, check it out. Superb.

Side B is a bit less gripping than A, but there are some shining moments to speak of, especially "Lauren Marie" and "Curls". This vinyl release comes on standard weight black vinyl packaged in a beautiful heavy duty gatefold. It also includes the digital download codes to reward the patient who didn't rush out to buy the CD before the LP became available. Check it out for something different.

Album - B

Vinyl - B+

No comments:

Post a Comment