Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Flaming Lips, Star Death & White Dwarfs With Henry Rollins and Peaches - "Dark Side Of The Moon"

The Flaming Lips, Star Death & White Dwarfs With Henry Rollins and Peaches - "Dark Side Of The Moon" Vinyl LP (Color Vinyl RSD Exclusive).
WB 523541-1
Original Release - 2010


OH MY GAWD ITS THE FLAMING LIPS!

Finally getting around to cracking some of these vinyl exclusives open from RSD last weekend. I have been on a long and strange trip with The Lips this afternoon and can't wait to tell you all about it. I was a little concerned going in, since Dark Side Of The Moon is one of my all time favorite albums, but now I know if anyone had it in them, it's The Lips. While staying true to the original, The Lips and Co. have etched out a sonic tribute that I think Floyd, and the always hard to please Floyd fans can be proud of. While "Speak To Me" is a faster tempo than the original, its still feels right with The Lips at the helm, awkward, crazy, and a warning of things to come its the perfect lead in. The Lips and Co. sound at ease with "Time", and its hard to believe the original could be improved on, I like how the "Breathe Reprise" brings us right back to the tempo we started at. Did I mention this pressing (Seafoam Green Vinyl) kicks ass? The sound is amazing, I can't wait to compare it to my MFSL pressing of "Dark Side Of The Moon". "Great Gig In The Sky" featuring Henry Rollins and Peaches is the perfect conclusion to side one, this is one of those rare covers thats actually worthy of the original.

"Money" sounds dirty and grungy at the start of Side Two, and the robotic/futuristic voices add an extra kick to this classic track. What I like most is they didn't try to do too much here, they just added some Lip's flair when needed, and let the creative genius of Roger Waters speak for itself.

"Us And Them", my favorite track of "Dark Side Of The Moon" is not more beautiful than the original, but is damn close. Like a brilliant starry night, this album will continue to open the minds of each generation that discovers it. Now we have an alternate take, provided by arguably this generations most creative groups.

This album is housed in a heavy duty gatefold (gorgeous) and includes a CD of the entire album (Bonus!). The heavy-weight vinyl is Seafoam Green (in my case) and sounds incredible, my ears have been enjoying the brilliant sound all day. If you can find one, pick one up, you will hopefully love it as much as I do.

Album - A-

Vinyl/Packaging - A

No comments:

Post a Comment