Thursday, March 11, 2010

Otis Redding - "In Person At The Whiskey A Go Go"

Otis Redding - "In Person At The Whiskey A Go Go" Vinyl LP
LP 5133
Sundazed
Original Release - 1968
Reissue Release - 2003

Otis has soul. I think saying Otis defines soul would be more appropriate. I'm a huge live album nut, this is one of the best I own. This live set from LA in 1966 smokes, its filled with the natural energy Otis Redding brings to the stage. A stage he shares with a few other musicians (a few saxophones, trumpets, bass, lead guitars and some back up singers).

Out of the gates we have "I Can't Turn You Loose", "Pain In My Heart", and by "Just One More Day" you are hooked. His original songs are some of the best soul songs ever recorded, and his covers are simply dazzling. He covers the Stones on Side A "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and James Brown on Side B "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag".

This live album is what Rhythm & Blues is all about. His style of singing is legendary, its hard to imagine someone preforming at this level, especially with Bob Dylan in the audience. I have just recently expanded my listening selections to include the soul classics (there is just so much out there to listen to) and I can't wait to get some more classic Otis recordings.

This Sundazed reissue is a fairly inexpensive way to get acquainted with Otis Redding. It is standard weight black vinyl that sounds pretty nice. Live albums have never been the best sounding LP's but this one holds its own. There is some nice low end on this album, given the killer rhythm section, and it really shows through on vinyl. I am planning on tracking down an original, that is if I can ever find one!


Album - A

Vinyl - B

No comments:

Post a Comment